We have been having some house cat excitement around here...
Beth, who is going to be 18 on July 21st hasn't been feeling well again.
She gets chronic urine infections due to her kidneys failing from old age. She has certain "signs" that I look for and know its another infection. Recently she was put on antibiotics again and it also helped get her over a cold she has had for a few weeks. She is doing a whole lot better!
Poor gal, sleeps most of her days curled up in front of the fire or on a lap she can find sitting still for a few short moments.
I took this picture at close range so the flash made her close her eyes... she was probably seeing spots after! Not only do I "torment" with the camera... we have had a young 'un spending time at our house.
The "young 'un" being Cleo, Katie's 2 year old cat that has BOUNDS of energy! We are cat sitting for a few days and Cleo LOVES to explore and can't figure out whyyyyyy Beth and Dixie have no interest in playing and exploring too! I later remembered that Cleo is also part Siamese... does that mean anything to anyone? LOL
This particular picture was when I was putting away towels - the towel shelf is very full but she still managed to jump up (this shelf is chest height to me) and squish herself into the cupboard and inspect what I was doing.
Cleo has been very pro-active in many things... she was on top of the cupboard on my desk and I had painted rocks my kids did several years ago in school. She patted them with little nudges pushing them along trying to get them to fall over the edge... at the bottom of that edge is my computer keyboard and monitor! I snatched the rocks and put them on the window sill... she then looked around to see what else she could get into.
Another time, She layed on her side at the top of our carpeted stairs and slowly, head first, slid from the top to the bottom of the 14 stairs.
I have found my plants knocked to the bottom of the stairs at the front door; she has run from the living room to the office at full speed and missed the office door and crashed headlong into the cat food dishes; when Karl's alarm clock goes off in the morning she jumps up and puts her face in his, meows, purrs so loud and stuffs her paw in his face to let him know Snooze buttons are unacceptable! ........ but what has had us REALLY stumped was she was continually getting locked into Jeff's room in the basement.
Jeff swore he closed his door and when he did she wasn't in his room. It was soon revealed to us what was happening.
... Jeff was laying in bed sleeping when he heard a commotion above him... his room has a built in box along the ceiling to cover up drain pipes, furnace pipe and gas lines - but above his bed in the over hang we have put pot lights and cupboard doors that do not latch so we have access to these pipes, clean outs and lights if they need fixing.
Back to Jeff hearing the commotion... he looked up to see one of the cupboard doors open and Cleo slip out (its about 4 feet down), land on his bed and curl up beside him. She could get IN his room but couldn't get back out cause he had the door shut! He followed her trail... she would slip into the canning room (door is kept open quite frequently), jump up on the furnace, up again into the floor joists, follow the floor joists and pipes, around the corner and pop open the cupboard door!
Unbelievable! I pity any mice she might meet along the way! More than once she has come upstairs with cob webs all over her head... I ask "where have you been now?"
You may notice that Dixie isn't in this post... Well, she is not liking the idea that this energetic cat has entered her once layed back world. Dixie spends most of her time in hiding other than to eat and use the litter (when no one is looking). Every once in a while the 2 will come in contact and life gets a little loud with hissing and growling mainly from Dixie. Beth has learned to tolerate and ignore.
On the plus side and hoping this is a sign of good things to come this Spring, a couple of weeks ago, I put up my humming bird feeders and within 5 minutes I had a hummer enjoying a fine meal.
It is still very cool here and today it is raining and miserable. Hopefully the sun will begin to shine and dry us out a little. I have to admit I have been strongly thinking of putting an order in to Charlie (FIL) for lumber and building an Ark!
No comments:
Post a Comment