Monday, April 2, 2012

They have arrived!

Yep, the lambs are arriving! 
I had been waiting, checking, waiting, checking and finally we have some cuties!
 These characters are sired by an escapee spring ram I had last fall.  His name was Cocoa - he was brown (you could probably tell by his name)  Cocoa is no relation to these ewes that lambed.
So from #27, yes, my white ewe only has a number not a name...
I got these 2 beautiful ewe lambs on March 28th... Momma has taken to both girls - no bottle feeding here!



Another ewe I was watching and watching - thought for sure she was going to lamb right around the first one...  but she chose to wait a few more days. 
On Saturday March 31st, I went out at 2pm to check on her and she looked at me "what?"  I saw nothing out of the ordinary and she didn't look like she was even thinking of lambing.  Off I went with my mom to a book launch my neighbor invited me to. (It is her 3rd book published)
At 3:30pm I get a text from Karl who had just returned from a machinery auction...
 it read "you got twins!" 
These Shetlands are very secretive! They don't want any involvement at all! 
So I came home to find a ram & a ewe lamb who look just like their sire!
Again, happy to report Momma is nursing both babies (last year she would only nurse one of her twins)  Remember Tinkerbell?  This is Tinkerbell's mom.
She is so proud! Quite the sparkle in her eye eh? :D



Tinkerbell April 2011:


Tinkerbell now March 2012 - she is still small for her age but she has a great personality!


This is our friend and neighbor Doris... she has written 3 books in the last few years.  She has also previously written short stories that have won awards and articles for the newspaper.  She grew up in Saskatchewan on a farm and was an RN.  Her books pull on these experiences.
You can find her first book here:  Still Waters  and her second one here:  Fury of the Wind   and her most recent and sequel:  Water in the Wilderness
Picture is taken at the Book Launch



No comments:

Post a Comment