For some reason I tend to work harder on Labour day than I do any other day of the year LOL
Okay, this wasn't hard work but I was working.
At 7am I rode shotgun to a work site to pick up those wonderful big boy Lego blocks. Some were single size and some were full size.
I was the hooker... haha... the excavator would bring the bucket close to me that had a chain with a hook connected to it.. I would hook the loop on the top of the block and get the heck out of the way. Sometimes those blocks swing - and they were used blocks and we had the odd loop snap and the block fall. So I wanted to stand far and clear!
I will admit I did a very stupid rookie mistake about 6 blocks in... I hooked the block and for some reason (not paying attention or what) I slid my hand up the chain while the bucket lifted to make the chain taught. Well, when he lifts the bucket he also pushes the edge of the bucket against the chain to lower the risk of the block swinging... well stupid me had my hand in the wrong place and it was getting crushed between chain and bucket. Thank goodness I had HIS gloves on and not my thin ones. His were very padded and although I have a very sore, bruised and swollen finger I am still able to type ;)
Poor guy I scared the willies out of him... When I realized my fingers were caught I was thinking "pull hand out of glove and let glove go with block" nope, it had my fingers good... so I thought "tell him to stop, or wait, or put it back down" So I opened my mouth to say one of those words but it came out in a scream! He quickly, but gently released the pressure and freaked out that I was really badly hurt. I felt more like a fool than hurt. One, for having my fingers in the wrong place and secondly, for screaming. We were both definitely awake after that incident and the rest of the loading went with no issues. Of course he had to rub it in a few times and joked to get my hands where he could see them LOL
We had another guy join us and loaded the 2nd truck and headed for the farm... they are being stacked here until Karl decides when he is going to expand another bay onto his bunker silo.
No comments:
Post a Comment