Last night when I was doing chores in the sheep barn Shadow was growling and barking just outside the door. He does this fairly regularly but usually he looks to the East where the coyotes like to yip and taunt him. He lets them know to keep their distance and that he is by the house if they try anything.
But last night was a little different. He was looking North and actually ran across our driveway facing the dairy barn. I couldn't see or hear anything and thought maybe he heard a coyote cross the field or the wind was carrying in a scent.
Once I was done I said "lets go, its all right, the sheep are safe in the barn now." He gave one last look and "woof" North and followed me into the house.
Nothing more thought of til morning.
Karl came in the house after milking and asked "Was Shadow barking last night or was I dreaming?"
I said "Shadow barked but I told him to be quiet cause I couldn't see or hear anything."
Karl: "Well we had some extra work this morning".
Me: "Oh?".
He then explained,"Yesterday I moved some calves and got interrupted and forgot to go back and make sure the gate was latched proper."
Me: "ooooh".
Karl went on to describe " The cows got into the calf barn knocked over buckets, stomped down the round bale we feed, broke the wooden ramp that goes up into the parlor - got into the parlor and bent some doors that the milk machines sit on and broke a few candles that wash the machines and of course CRAPPED everywhere!"
Me: "Oh boy.. and?"
Karl: "and?"
Me: "Well, I know ALL the doors get left open.......did they get into the office too or the machinery room?"
Karl: "No, they had far too much fun in the first two areas and it looks like they had lots of time to party cause a bunch were laying down when we went to get them for milking - they had a busy night and was trying to catch up on sleep"
Silence......
Karl: "Oh yeah, they turned on the water and there was about 6" of water everywhere - they are like Houdini with their tongues."
Moral of the story: "Stop thinking Shadow is just barking at the voices in his head - he probably knew there was a party going on down there!"
No comments:
Post a Comment