Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Spot in Life

I seem to live here... not just on the farm but at my desk. 
Especially this time of year... 

We are on a Study called the COP (Cost of Production) and that means even more paperwork than the usual Year End.  I have to keep track of everything that IS: such as: inventory, including, how many buckets of milk we feed to the calves.  And what happens on the farm right down to what each individual person does with thier time on shift.  Each employee is supposed to keep track in a booklet I have provided... 


This is the monthly form they need to fill out.  Easy eh? just punch out with the time clock and under the "date" write down how many hours they worked in "what" category.

Difficult? Apparently, YES!  After 4 years... yes we have been on this program for FOUR years... you would be absolutely amazed at how many of them do NOT fill in this paper.  The excuses I get are incorrigible!

 "I'm not reporting to anyone what I do around here"
 "The program is stupid"
 "You have it on the time card why do you need it here?" 
           (Time card has the time they worked not what they did when on shift) 
"I keep forgetting"
           (for months on end apparently and the book is right in front of the time clock and there are NOTES
               everywhere reminding you!).  

So when I pull the sheets and they are "empty" I have to go back over Karl and my notes that we have made throughout the year and try and figure out "what" they did and for how long.  So not only do I have to track my own hours I have to track 7 other peoples.  Thank goodness for Karls calendar where he keeps track, for the most part.  That has saved me hours and hours of work and questions that would drive him nuts. 
My biggest challenge is Karls Dad.  He doesn't use the time clock and there are days when Karl has no idea what he did and he's not about to tell anyone (yeah his is the first excuse on the list). 
Thankfully.... 2012 is year 5.  Our last year on COP according to the records.  I think I will have a BIG  celebration when this year ends!  I won't know what to do with myself when I don't have to fill out all this paperwork any more! lol

1 comment:

  1. Blah, so not fun! :( luckily the only employees we have is ourselves for the most part. :) good luck!
    Heather F

    ReplyDelete